Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Lace Treasures

"Her watch was so delicate that the
perfume of the roses in the warm
garden breeze could stop its hands
time would go still and freeze."
                    ~a. niffenegger

   There has been so much activity in my life lately and all in such a short space of time! So many changes in just a few months. Sometimes change can leave me feeling a little bit lost and unsure of what to do with myself. I'm having to remember, or re-learn, how to be still and relax instead of pushing to do more and more and more. It helps that it feels like summer now. Everything is green and warm. My house has been full of leftover wedding flowers for the last week or so and their beautiful fragrance has made it feel like a garden. Now that the frantic pace has slowed down I am trying to find ways to relax and calm down after all of the excitement. Inevitably I am turning to the same things that always make me feel like myself again. Pretty things (smile). I sat in the garden one afternoon and drew a new picture, I am reading a favourite book, and I have made a point of getting up in the morning before work and taking some pictures while the light is so nice. I've missed having time to do that! I gathered all of my beautiful lace pieces - antique lingerie and handkerchief bags, pillows, doilies - and set them together. I love lace so much! I've started to study the history behind my favourite kinds of lace because I find it so fascinating! These pictures are just a glimpse into my small collection of lace treasures. I hope everyone is enjoying the beginning of summer as much as I am!

I am sharing this post with:
White Wednesday
What's It Wednesday


Drawing by Jennelise






































Silk handpainted roses in photographs by http://www.meadowstreet.com/

8 comments:

  1. OMGoodness!
    I couldn't get enough.
    I LOVE everything!
    A girl after my own heart! I have been collecting antique and vintage textiles for about 20 years. I have an extensive collection and am drawn to lace and ribbonwork. I love ribbon roses!
    You have some beauties! They are works of art.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Elizabeth
    The Porcelain Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love ribbon roses too! It is MUCH harder to find pretty lace pieces where I live in Canada. My boss searches them out for me or I purchase the odd special piece on ebay. I think lace is gorgeous! Thankyou for stopping by!
      Jennelise

      Delete
  2. I think I am on overload and it's ALL good! So many gorgeous, delicate and lovely textiles....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jennelise, how beautiful! I am in awe of the beauty here.

    Hugs,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful this all is...lovely, lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou so much for your kind words! I love to share pretty things :)
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgive my ignorance...perhaps you've previously identified it to us, but is the "padded-look" lace-covered satin/silk case in frame #1 for gloves? (or lingerie?) I inherited something similar from an old family friend upon her passing some 30 years ago (although it is an oval-shaped "case") and, inside, was a perfect pair of elbow-length, soft leather, white and elegant ladies' gloves (for two very narrow hands and two extremely slender arms). She'd been born in the late 1800s; I don't know if they'd been hers, or someone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely breathtaking! The colors, the textures, the muted shades just melt in your mouth! Have you thought about providing tutorials on how to create some of the more simple projects you do? I have books on ribbon roses, etc., but there's just something so "yummy" about your creations. Would so love to see a few patterns or tutorials so I can create a little of this beautiful heaven on earth! Thank you for sharing your God-given talent with us. Just gorgeous and all things lovely!

    Robyn Taylor
    Wichita Falls, Texas

    ReplyDelete