Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chocolate Pots

"The conversation consisted of empty pleasantries, for the most part. Then the tea tray
arrived, and I was hard put to keep my countenance. For there, right in the center of the
tray, was a perfectly beautiful blue porcelain chocolate pot."
                             ~ "Sorcery & Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot" by
                                 Patricia C. Wrede & Caroline Stevermer

   What a busy weekend what with my sister's birthday, Mother's Day, and the general upheaval of weekend activities! Before I say something about the subject of this post I should mention the contest that recently closed at the lovely blog French Laundry. It was called the "Show Me Your Romantic Prairie Style Photo Challenge" and involved the submission of photos that reflected everyone's personal take on the beautiful book by Fifi O'Neill. I submitted three photos and while I didn't win the challenge one of my photos and a link to my blog was included in the 'Honorable Mentions' post at French Laundry yesterday. A big thankyou for the inclusion and I highly recommend a trip to French Laundry to see the wonderful photos and posts both recent and past!
   For today I want to show a few photos of my mother's collection of chocolate pots! The quote above is from a book that was my favorite as a teenager and involved a magical chocolate pot and two young regency ladies uncovering a plot revolving around it! I loved it and bought both of the sequels! Towards the end of the 18th Century the drink we know as 'Hot Chocolate' became popular in Europe leading porcelain manufacturers like Limoges (a favorite of mine) to create specialized pots and cups just for serving chocolate! Today the pots and cups have become very collectable. My Mum started collecting chocolate pots when I was quite young and over the years has gathered a pretty array that she uses throughout our house to hold flowers or simply as display pieces. The photos below are of a few of my most favorite pots. I hope you like them!














No comments:

Post a Comment